Frequently Asked Questions
My Library Account
How do I get a Library card?
You can bring 2 forms of I.D. with your name and Amityville School Disctrict residence address.
What if I lose my library card?
If you lose your Amityville Library Card, notify the Library in person that your card is lost so we can mark your card lost. To replace your card you must show a valid I.D. with your Amityville School District address. The cost of replacement is $2.
How do I access my Library Account online?
You can look at what you have checked out, renew materials, request items, and pay your fines with a credit or debit card by clicking on "Library Account" on the top right-hand corner of the Amityville Public Library webpage.
2. Enter your password. If you have not established a password yet, you will need to do so now. In order to make a password, you will need an e-mail address in your library account. If you don't have an e-mail, please ask at the Circulation Desk about how to make a password. If you do have an e-mail in your library account, then you will follow these steps:
Click on 'Create a Password'.
Type in your library card barcode in the blank box then click 'Submit'.
Go into your e-mail to retrieve the message sent to you by firstname.lastname@example.org. Click the link in the e-mail to make a password.
Enter your barcode once and new password twice then click 'Submit'.
Please contact the Library at 631-264-0567 if you require further assistance.
Can I renew library material from home?
Library cardholders may renew their own materials online.
What if I damage or lose library materials?
If you damage or lose Library materials you are responsible for the replacement cost of the item and any processing fees that may apply. You may pay by check, cash, or online in your Library Account. If you have any questions please contact the Circulation Department.
How will I be notified when my holds are available?
If you have added an email to your library account, you will receive email notifications when items you placed on hold are available. If you do not have an email, the Library will call you to let you know your items arrived. Please ensure that the Library has your up to date e-mail address or phone number.
Is there a way to freeze my holds if I am going away on vacation?
Yes, you may freeze your holds.
Can I access the library catalog anywhere outside of the library?
Yes. You may use the searchbox on the top of the www.amityvillepubliclibrary.org webpage.
Can I pay my fines online?
Library Fines and Fees over $1.00 may be paid online using your Mastercard, Visa, or PayPal.
Here is how to get started:
1.Enter your library card barcode or username, then enter your password to log in to your library account.
2. Select the amount in unpaid fines and bills.
3. Select "PAY ONLINE".
4. Select the fines that you wish to pay, complete all of the relevant information and click submit.
5. A confirmation page will appear next. You can print a copy of your receipt at this time and/or click OK. If you have a valid email address, receipt of payment will be sent to the address you entered in step 4.
How can I get email notifications that my items are due?
To receive email notifications:
4. Enter your email address and click "Submit."
How do I reserve library items online?
To reserve items online:
1. First search for the item you want in the online catalog.
How can I reserve the Library's Community Room
Permission to use the Library's Community Room may be granted to community groups, organizations and individuals. First read the Community Room Policy to see if you are eligible. If you are eligible please fill out the Community Room Use Application and return it to the Library. The form may be submitted at least one week but no more than three months in advance of intended use. Library Services, programs and activities shall have priority over other activities.
Does the Library have WiFi?
Yes, the Library has free WiFi for public use. Please see a staff member if you need assistance.
How can I reserve a public computer?
An adult public computer may be reserved by typing your library card barcode number in at one of the public computers or by asking at the Adult Reference for a courtesy guest pass. Amityville Cardholders are given priority over courtesy guest passes. There are no guest passes issued when there is a long wait period or on Sundays due to limited hours. If you are in sixth grade or younger, ask at the Children's Desk to get onto one of the computers in the Children's Department.
Does the library have a scanner or fax machine?
Yes. Our copy machines allow you to scan to USB. Our scan to email is currently down. Fax documents for $1 per page and is located behind the Circulation Desk.
How much does it cost to print from the public computers?
Black and White print jobs cost 10 cents a page. Color print jobs cost 25 cents a page.
How do I display my artwork at the Library?
To request to display artwork at the Library call 631-264-0567 and ask for Adrienne.
How do I register for Library programs?
**Note: Due to COVID-19, our program registration process has changed. Please go to the children's, teen's or adult virtual program page for more information on how to register for upcoming programs.**
1. Search for the program you would like to register for in the Library Catalog.
2. If the program is currently open for registration, click the "Register" link. Please read all registration information carefully, including meeting times, age requirements, fees, and prerequisites.
3. Select "Register".
4. Enter your library card barcode or username, then enter your password to log in.
5. Confirm your email address is correct, choose the number of seats you're registering for, and input any required information in the Note to Instructor field.
6. Click OK to subit the registration. A confirmation screen will display. You may print this screen for your record. A copy will also be emailed to you.
Programs that require payment require in-person registration. Please call the Library at 631-264-0567 for further assistance.